Uganda 2017 Day 8: New Life!

As usual, we were up fairly early. We went down to Tembo for breakfast and were joined by Calum, although he had his own itinerary and was not joining us on our visits. We set off for Kafuro, our first visit for the day at about 8.30am. Unfortunately, we had an incident that scared the living daylights out of me. As often happens on the way out of Mweya, we saw a herd of elephants and stopped at a safe distance to let them cross the road. A Ugandan vehicle didn’t stop and drove quickly through the middle of the herd beeping its horn loudly and scattering the elephants. This is very dangerous because a riled elephant is not a pleasant animal to have to deal with. You only have to watch video footage on Youtube to see what an agitated elephant can do. Mrs Green and I decided to wait for a good few minutes before moving again. Thankfully, the elephants had moved away from the road and remained calm.

Our jobs at Kafuro (our last day at the school) were mainly functional. We had to hand out letters, take class photos and then teach a lesson about the internet and technology to the children in Class P5. Handing out letters is always a lot of fun as the children are very keen to learn about the lives of their peers in Liss. We presented them with a class photo of their twinned class and then showed the children who the letters were from. The children were also very pleased to have their photos taken apart from one little girl in Nursery who cried her eyes out when she saw Larry the Leopard and cried even more when I tried to show her that Larry was friendly.

My lesson on the internet and technology was a double – hander with Yowasi. We started off by talking about how the internet has made communication much easier and comparing this to phone calls that used to be made which had big time lags. We then talked about how technology is developing so quickly and discussed changes that have been occurring in Kafuro in the last few years. The children then shared with me the jobs that they would like to do when they grow up, and Yowasi and I talked about the impact technology would have on them. We finished off by talking about how some of the jobs that they will do haven’t been invented yet.

Our last job at Kafuro before we left was to Give Yonah, a boy in P5, his letter and present from Olivia Jack. Yonah had made her a little bag last year. Yonah was very pleased to get his loom band and Mrs Green explained how a fortune teller worked.

As we left Kafuro, Yowasi stopped off to buy some Kafuro tomatoes. He paid about 5000 shillings (£1.10) for 15 huge tomatoes full of flavour – what a bargain!

Our next stop was Kirugu Secondary School, to visit Wilber, a former pupil at Kafuro who Mrs Green and I are both very fond of. We are supporting his school fees as he progresses through secondary school. We met with the Dean of Studies while we waited for Wilber and he explained how well he was doing with his grades. Wilber was pleased to see us, but a little overwhelmed –  he was quite shy. He showed us the school’s new computer suite which has a photocopier that copies twelve sheets a minute!!!

Our next stop was Kichwamba Primary School where we had a medal ceremony for the Conservation Cup runners up. The headteacher was very welcoming and gave a speech saying how they were determined to win the trophy next year. I think Kafuro might have something to say about that!

Our final school visit for the day was New Life Junior School, the school that Yowasi has set up behind the family home. At the moment there is classes in Nursery, P1 and P2 and year on year the school will expand. The school was built by Yowasi’s brother, Crescent, who is an incredible carpenter, so it has its own distinct look. The children were incredible; they are clearly led by an inspirational headteacher and highly motivated staff. We were welcomed with a couple of songs, some presentations and we also had to spell some English words. I successfully managed to spell ‘cow’ – no cracking for me under pressure! The funniest moment was when a little boy called Joshua (about 6 years old) was blindfolded and he had to guess what object Mrs Green, Yowasi and I were holding up – either a pencil case, pen or chalk. He got mine wrong, but after that went on a sensational run of getting his guesses right. It was hilarious!

As it was Yowasi’s birthday we went round to his house for a small party. Ruth, Yowasi’s wife, made us muchomos and some beautiful chips which we washed down with a couple of Nile Specials. We had some presents for Yowasi’s family. Linda, Yowasi’s daughter who I held as a baby is now a strapping six year old with excellent English and a good sense of humour, while Peter (two years old) is a bundle of energy.

We arrived back at Mweya at 9.00pm to join Calum for a couple of beers. Tomorrow, we head to Kampala for the rugby game I’ve been looking forward to for a long time – Uganda vs Zimbabwe.

This entry was posted in Uganda, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.