Learning in progress at Kafuro PS – Uganda

Hello to our great friends out their reading this blog Kafuro primary School in Uganda says keep up the spirit and thank you for loving us.

Its very nice reading Adam’s blog about Liss Junior School and how they have been discussing about the Countries transition topic wants and needs plus the country revolutions on general assemblies and in class.

As in needs and wants by UNICEF when I offered to be near Adam as we conducted the lesson about wants and needs,  he got surprised when my pupils mentioned that having a personal bedroom is not very important, this was based on the fact in Kafuro community where bedrooms are shared according to sex meaning boys in a single bedroom and also girls in their own bedroom.Minus this, Adam agreed that the needs are the same hear in Uganda and in the United Kingdom. Pupils need nutritious foods,Clean water,shelter etc as we normally state it as basic needs of people.

Since the beginning of the term, all stories in school have been about Uk friends and happiness when playing with the “paw-paws” and yesterday 17/09/2012,children st down in their classes and wrote letters to reply to their great friends at Liss junior School and I will be delivering them when I come over to the United Kingdom.I was a very nice experience as class teacher tried guiding learners to write the letters in English (Though some study in local language  (Runyankole for the case of Kafuro PS mainly in lower primary )

Looking at the progress of the term:-

At Kafuro primary school (which runs from Nursery to Primary seven ) we are preparing pupil for their third term and the term when pupils move/are promoted from one level to another.

And for my class Primary seven which is saying good bye to our school since they are in their final year (year seven) and looking forward to joining secondary schools next year.This term P.7 started the term with “Interdependence in the Environment” as their second last topic in Science (Mr.Yowasi Byaruhanga teaches English and Science in P.7) this topic deals with how things depend on one another in relating and ways of living in order life to be better living.

It is and has ever been an interesting topic for the pupils in class Primary seven since I started teaching!!!!

Learners discussed from the guidance that I strongly gave to them and very many answers were given according to different sub headings discussed in different days through out  these two last week.

For example

Define the term environment

Suggest components of the environment

Define;Living components of the environment and Non-living components of the environment ,How do; People depend on animals,plants,non-living things and how they also in turn depend on each other and then to people.This can also be discussed by pupils at Liss Junior School to raise answers as we can compare and then find out what comes up as a new idea as we go on discussing on our education exchange and more to come about culture and other exchange aspects.

The next topic for my class P.7 is Environmental conservation and this will mainly involve the environment mainly in the school compound and the Queen Elizabeth National park as seen when standing in the compound at the school. and lucky that our school was donated a flip chart by Pupils at Liss school and we say thanks our friends for the stationery send to our school through Adam in his last visit to Uganda.

About other classes:-

For other classes the leaning is based on subjects for upper classes( including P.7) and alternatively based on Themes for lower primary and nursery.

This makes much of the learning to be carried out in local language except for English as a subject  in all lower classes this is known as “Thematic curriculum”

Mainly in upper primary learning is in English and some explanations can be done in local language to foster understanding and make learning more meaningful.

Sincere thanks to Liss Junior school for all done to Kafuro PS

Hope to be meeting you next time on this blog…….!!!!!

Posted by

Yowasi Byaruhanga.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.