Uganda 2014 – Day 1: A long journey

After several weeks of build up the trip is finally underway, and as I sit in a Banda at UWEC Zoo in Entebbe at 7.45pm (5.45pm UK local time) I can reflect on a very busy day and lots of progress made. I met with Mrs Green at 4.00pm yesterday and Mr Green drove us up to Heathrow Airport. The M25 was very busy, but we got to the airport in good time and Mrs Green and I enjoyed a pint of cider before boarding the plane.

The Kenya Airways flight to Nairobi was fairly uneventful. We both stayed awake and watched a film before having a meal to eat and falling into fitful sleep. The rest of the time we were both reading (at this point Mr Burford puts his head in his hands) educational books; Mrs Green a tome about learning and myself an Iron Age novel that will feed into literacy.

We changed planes at Nairobi which had the potential to be a little hairy as there was only an hour between flights, but our flight to Entebbe was delayed so there were no worries in the end. Our arrival at Entebbe was met with several pleasant surprises; firstly the temperature was about twenty degrees Fahrenheit cooler and we sailed through customs. Ronnie, our driver was waiting for us so we got into this year’s Toyota Hiace (name to follow) and dropped our bags off at UWEC Zoo where we are staying for the night. From there we headed straight into Kampala to change money and to buy a power generator for Kafuro Primary School. The money exchange was straightforward and we got a good rate. Buying the generator was a little more complex. Ronnie negotiated on my behalf with three or four gents at a shop but eventually we settled on a reasonable price. Kampala was like an ants’ nest with people and cars everywhere so our next step was to head back to Entebbe Airport and pick up Steve Peach, Jan (volunteer ranger) Rebecca and Carrie (teachers from Clanfield). We were ten minutes late and they were waiting for us, but what we discovered was that they had been shifted from Gatwick to Heathrow as their flight was oversubscribed and as compensation had been given return tickets any time over the next year. RESULT!

After exchanging more money in Entebbe we made our arrangements for an early start and went off to explore the zoo. It was packed with school groups and we came in for a lot of attention. Mrs Green was snapping away with the camera so we will have lots of great photos to share. After meeting with Liz, Bea and Meg (the Nature’s frontline crew) we had an early meal (tilapia and chips) and then headed off for bed as we have a 6.00am start tomorrow.

Thanks to Ezri Osborne who has already posted the first questions. In answer to your questions Ezri, The journey time was about 12 hours in total and both Mrs Green and I fell asleep on the plane (it was only me who snored though). You can get similar food to the UK if you want it such as fish and chips or chicken and chips. The journey from Entebbe to Mweya (where we are staying) is about ten hours and from Mweya to Kafuro takes one hour and fifteen minutes.

This entry was posted in Uganda and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Uganda 2014 – Day 1: A long journey

1. Adam's mum says:

So pleased to hear that you all arrived safely. Will you get any more cider over there?

mumx

2. aburford says:

Glad to hear that you have all arrived safely without many delays. My question is: is tilapia and chips served with salt and vinegar?
    Hope the next leg of your journey goes smoothly.