Uganda 2017 Day 1: Nightmare in Cairo

This was the sort of day that tests your patience. It had all started out so well. Mrs Green and myself had packed successfully and managed to fit everything we needed into our suitcases. We made it to the airport in time despite having had to make a detour to pick up Larry the Leopard from my parents’ home in Croydon. Readers of this blog may question why a toy leopard is so important, but Larry breaks down all sorts of barriers particularly with the younger children.

The first sign that something might not be quite right was when we dropped our bags off. The automatic system was broken so we had to leave them in a big pile to be manually loaded on to the plane. As a result our flight was delayed for an hour. The flight to Cairo was uneventful – I read my book. Our second flight to Entebbe was delayed for an hour and twenty minutes because of our late arrival from London, but we thought this was a good thing as it would allow plenty of time to move baggage between the planes.

We arrived at Entebbe at 4.35am expecting to pick up our baggage, jump into a car and drive across the country to Mweya in time to see some of the training for the Conservation Cup tag rugby tournament. However, our bags didn’t show up. We were not alone: there were around ten other families in the same situation. Mrs Green and I had to fill out forms and we were told that we would have to wait until Sunday morning at 3.15am for our bags to arrive. At this point I lost my temper and took an Egypt Air official to task. I accused the airline of incompetence and demanded compensation not only for the two of us, but all the other families. He quickly caved in and we got enough money to stay in a hotel for two nights. We picked our car up from our contact, Geoffrey, and drove to Serene Guesthouse where we had stayed before. They were brilliant and set us up with Wi-Fi so we could contact the other twinning project members in Mweya.

After a quick sleep we went into Entebbe and changed money as well as getting airtime and data for our mobile phones. Without any toiletries, we bought toothbrushes and toothpaste although I found out Colgate toothpaste tastes very different in Uganda.

We were feeling very hungry so went to a bar we know we’ll called the Red Rooster. It had changed ownership and was now called Outlaws. What hadn’t changed was the quality of the food which was great. We both had tilapia washed down with a couple of Nile Specials (only 75p for half a litre kids!) before visiting Entebbe’s botanical gardens. There were all sorts of birds and monkeys and it was very peaceful.

After heading back to the guesthouse, we both felt exhausted so went to sleep before going out for dinner at a really nice restaurant called Faze 3.

Unfortunately, we our going to miss the Conversation Cup tournament tomorrow, but I spoke to Yowasi who told me everything was in hand. The other twinning project members will all be there! It is our plan to take the medals into the winning schools next week and hold special assemblies. No bias, but I’m praying that Kafuro go one better than last year and win the tournament.

Tomorrow, we are going into Kampala to find Kyambogo University where Mrs Green has a meeting on Monday week. More news tomorrow night!

I look forward to answering your questions.

A new shopping mall in Entebbe
This entry was posted in Twinning Project, Uganda and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Uganda 2017 Day 1: Nightmare in Cairo

1. Caroline Pritchard says:

What a frustrating journey. Hope everything else goes well from now on – I’m looking forward to hearing all the news.

2. D. Ross says:

Why Colgate?

• astanleyadmin says:

Colgate is the premium brand in Uganda for toothpaste. It just doesn’t taste like Colgate in the UK.