Uganda 2017 Day 11: A meeting….and strimmers

We were up at 7.15am which constitutes a lie in for both of us. Before we checked out of Banana Village we had breakfast, and very nice it was too – sausages, Spanish omelette, toast and passion fruit juice. We checked out and left at 9.00am and headed for Kyambogo University for Mrs Green’s meeting. We had been warned that the 35km drive might take two hours, but the traffic was kind to us at first. I’ve now driven enough in Kampala to feel a bit more confident and we managed to get through the city centre without any problems – I beeped my horn merrily at any vehicle that came close to me.

As we drove through the Katwe area of Kampala I noticed lots of hardware stores selling strimmers. This was the first time I had ever seen them in Uganda. When it comes to cutting grass, most people use slashers (long sharpened metal sticks) which looks like back breaking work.

We arrived at Kyambogo University at 10.30 and, after we had composed ourselves, wnet to meet Dr Stackus. He couldn’t have been nicer and made us very welcome. We went to a conference room where we met three other lecturers from the SEN department. Three of the four of them had at one time or another studied in the UK, so their English was very good and they had some knowledge of English systems. As I don’t work in higher education, some of the conversations went over my head, but Mrs Green presented brilliantly and the Ugandans appeared very keen to work with Chichester University, so the meeting can be considered a success.

After the meeting ended at 12.10pm (obligatory photos included) we began the long drive back to Mweya. I couldn’t help but notice the amount of people who were using strimmers either by the roadside or in their gardens. Proof of the changes in Uganda! Progress was steady and we reached Kasese at 6.00pm. At this point, we were on target to be home at just after seven. However while we were in Kasese getting petrol at the garage the following happened:

1. There was a car crash right outside the garage and crowds of people gathered around the damaged vehicle (the other vehicle seemed to be fine and drove away) all making a fuss.
  2. We discovered a lead hanging out from under the engine. We couldn’t find an obvious place it had come from.
  3. We discovered that one of the front headlamps on the car wasn’t working so assumed that this might be due to the disconnected lead. Cue a visit to the garage down the road where it was checked out and discovered that a lightbulb was loose. The lead was taped up!

We eventually left Kasese at 6.40pm and got home in an hour. It was nice to see Calum again and we were given a very warm welcome at Tembo with everyone keen to hear about our adventures. After dinner and a couple of beers, we began to make plans for Tuesday, which would involve a lot of visits. More news tomorrow.

Finally some answers to questions posted by Liss children namely Chloe and Jessica East.

Most children live within 5km of the school so journey times vary between a couple of minutes to just over and hour.

Most of the towns have markets selling clothes which are easily available.

This entry was posted in Trips, Uganda and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Uganda 2017 Day 11: A meeting….and strimmers

1. Mrs Frost says:

Well done Mrs Green on a successful meeting!

2. Zach and Mrs Prior says:

A question from Zach:
    Do the children in Uganda have the same lessons as the children in Liss?
    A question from Mrs Prior:
    Does the Tooth Fairy, the Sandman, Jack Frost and suchlike exist in Uganda?

• astanleyadmin says:

Lessons in Uganda are roughly the same: English, maths, science, art and PE are exactly the same. They have social studies which includes some geography, citizenship and a bit of history. Most of the lessons are very fact based so that tings we take for granted at Liss such as cookery in DT don’t exist. Hence, when we cookin the cob oven it goes down a storm.

I know Jack Frost doesn’t exist in Uganda, but they are a very superstitious nation so will find out about th eothers and report back.