Uganda 2016 Day Six – Cob Oven Progress

We were up at 06.30 ready for our second day at Kafuro and on the road before 09.00. Unfortunately, (or fortunately as the case may be) we were severely delayed this morning. Firstly, we had to stop to let a herd of elephants cross the road. They were in no hurry as there was lots of food to be had. Henry and Mrs Green got some fantastic photos, particularly of one of the babies. Next, on the road to Kyambura, we got stuck behind a petrol tanker. The road was so potholed; it was almost impossible to pass. Thirdly, when we got to the outskirts of Kafuro, we got stuck behind a truck that had been collecting reeds.

When we arrived at the school we were made welcome as always. Bricks and sand had been delivered to the school, so the cob oven build could get underway. Before this could be started, we were invited to watch the scouts parade. They wore the uniforms provided by Liss Scouts, and those who had no uniform wore Liss athletic or football kit. The scouts sang songs and were very proud of their achievements.

The school had hired a local builder to build the cob oven base, but the children were fully involved. Boys from P6 and P7 were expected to help mix the cement while others were sent down to the lake to get water. Mrs Green and Henry went with the children down to the lake and heard some disturbing news. Last night, some of the villagers had killed a hippo that had destroyed some of their crops. The children were very upset because they have been taught that the killing of park animals is wrong and Yowasi had spoken to the villagers, but what is done is done. It goes to show how important the twinning project work is in highlighting conservation.

While I was talking with Yowasi at school, he showed me how much the I had planted four years ago had grown. It produces an edible fruit which in the local language is called ‘insali’. I thought it tasted nice, but Mrs Green thought it was too bitter.  Also shared with me the school’s lemon and avocado trees; Kafuro is blessed with abundant fruit and vegetables.

After a very nice lunch of tilapia and chips, we began to prepare the plastic bottles for the bottle greenhouse by cutting the ends off them. After that, we saw the final preparations to the cob oven base. The teachers at Kafuro have used documents that Mrs Armstrong had given to Muhudi and Muhudi and Yowasi refer to the regularly. By 16.30, the base was complete and tomorrow we can build the sand mould and mix the cob. The cost of all the materials and labour came to about £70 and has been paid for with the money raised by Liss Junior School children. Some of the sand left over will be used in building the new classroom, so Liss Junior School will have contributed to that as well.

We are also due to meet a local women’s group tomorrow and I might finally get my beard shaven off as the school barber is due to visit tomorrow. In return for using the school’s electricity, the children get their hair cut for free.

Finally, Mrs Prior see the photos below. The weather has been quite stormy (more power cuts tonight) so haven’t got a starry photo yet – but know exactly what you mean!

This entry was posted in Trips, Twinning Project, Uganda and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Uganda 2016 Day Six – Cob Oven Progress

1. Josephine Armstrong says:

Wow! The cob progress looks fantastic! I can just visualise what it will look like from the chalked circle. Have fun with the next stage if the build! Mrs Armstrong

2. Mrs Frost says:

Great to see the scout uniforms being put to good use! Is the Scout system the same over there as here? Do they have weekly meetings, camps etc., and do they earn the same badges?