UGANDA 2015 (through the eyes of a Rookie Ranger) – Day One

So back to the Pearl of Africa, my second home, Uganda. We have had a non-stop programme since we landed at 3.45am in Entebbe. I managed to keep my eyes open periodically through the drive from Entebbe to Mweya. Just as well I wasn’t driving! En route I was again blown away by the beautiful landscapes. They are just so rich in colour and splendour. The mountains are magnificent. Every space is used most efficiently in plantations. The Ugandan’s sure know how to live sustainably. We stopped at Fort Portal to change our Pounds Sterling into Ugandan Shillings. I am enjoying being a multimillionaire if only for a short time! ( £1 = 4,800 shillings). After changing our money and having our breakfast, we jumped back in the car for the next leg of our journey, to Kasese. Our stop here was not so successful as we were wanting to buy a router for Kafuro Primary so that they could use the internet on all of their devices at the same time. After our final leg of the journey, we arrived at Katunguru Primary School. We were looking to say hello to Ramathan. Unfortunately he was not there, but we received a very warm welcome from Alex and some of the children.

Finally, we could make our way to Hippo House on the Mweya peninsula. In the absence of Steve Peach and Jan Allnut, I nobly took on the role of Ranger in residence. Like all good rangers, I kept my eyes peeled for anything that moved and ensured I notified Mr Stanley at once of my observations. I could tell he was very impressed with my vast knowledge about the animals and birds. I was able to point out all the bright yellow birds, the birds with bright red bits, and even a big elephant or small younger one.

Once at Hippo House, we were met by two Waterbuck taking in the shade from the afternoon sun in our front garden. We also met with Joseline who saw that we had everything we needed in the house. At last, we could make our way to Tembo for the first Nile Special of the trip. I dedicated my Nile Special to Steve Peach, who taught me all about being a ranger last year. (You can see we spent our time wisely!). It had been a very exhausting day, but so good to be back in Uganda again.

This entry was posted in Kafuro Primary School, Katunguru Primary School, Liss Junior School, Trips, Twinning Project, Uganda and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.