Uganda 2015 – Final Thoughts

I’ve now been back in the UK for a week and catching up on my sleep. The journey home was not the best Mrs Green and I have ever experienced. Our flight to Cairo was delayed by an hour which meant that, although we could get our flight to Heathrow, our luggage wouldn’t be transferred in time. What followed was a total lack of communication from Egypt Air and six hours in a hotel in Cairo. We did eventually make it back to the UK late last Tuesday night.

Anyway, some final random thoughts:

*This was my fourth visit to Uganda and the most business-like. Anybody who thought we were going on a holiday is sorely mistaken. We set ourselves a punishing schedule and managed to visit every Ugandan School involved in the Twinning Project as well as complete our mandatory three days at Kafuro. In fact we were so busy that it’s the first time that I’ve not kept up to date with the blog – Sorry!

*We drove over 3000km on this trip over all sorts of terrain. I’d always known that Uganda was a hilly country, but it really hit home this time. The car (thankfully) was utterly reliable from start to finish.

*The children in school are always the best part of a trip and this year was no exception. From the girl at Kikarara, who was so excited at having her photo taken with Mrs Green, to Wilbur at Kafuro, who had me in stitches throughout, there were many memorable encounters.

*Tag Rugby seems to have really taken off, the skill level was amazing with many of the children.

*Electricity is something we take for granted, but it makes a massive difference to the Ugandan schools that have it.

*The Twinning Project (and Steve Peach in particular) carries massive clout in Uganda. The demeanour of many people changed instantly for the better when we mentioned that we were involved.

*Many  thanks to Yowasi for all his help in sorting out our programme in Uganda

*The UWA were absolutely fab and helpful in every respect. We were particularly grateful to Joshua, the new head of security, who made us so welcome on our first day.

*I say this every year, but the Ugandan people are so friendly.

* It pains me to say this, but you underestimate the popularity of Premier League football at your peril. Ugandans are obsessed with it.

*It was fantastic to cook with the children at Kafuro. In a very patriarchal society the boys don’t do much cooking, so they really enjoyed the experience. The next day, the delicious chapattis we had with our lunch were made by the children.

*Ugandan children are just as fascinated by technology as UK children. Watching them play with the new tablets was incredible to see how fast they picked up new skills.

*I didn’t see any lions or leopards this year, but there were more elephants than I’d ever seen. A very positive success story for conservation.

*Clean up Katunguru was a particular highlight for me as it showed what can be done when groups of people decide to work together.

*Working with Jess Mitchell was fascinating just to see how someone working towards a PhD, who has to grapple with some very advanced concepts, can repackage them for primary school children and make them straightforward.

*Nile Breweries will be rueing my departure from Uganda – enough said!

Thanks for reading this year’s blog. Here’s to doing it again in 2016!

This entry was posted in Kafuro Primary School, Liss Junior School, Trips, Twinning Project, Uganda and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Uganda 2015 – Final Thoughts

1. Caroline Pritchard says:

Glad to hear you’re both back safely. I have really enjoyed reading the blog and seeing all the photos and have one last question. Does Uganda have a National Curriculum or does each school determine its own?

• astanleyadmin says:

Yes, Uganda does have it’s own curriculum. Mrs Green and I looked at the P7 and P5 versions. In some respects it’s very rigid.