Uganda 2015 Day 8 – Roadtrip to Mahyoro

Another early start today. We were off to Kafuro to carry out a few last tasks before spending the rest of the day visiting Mahyoro Primary School. We left Mweya by 08.30am and were soon making good progress towards Kafuro. The morning was typical of what we have seen over the last week; a fairly cool and overcast start followed by an explosion of heat and sunshine at about 10.30am. We reached a very quiet Kafuro at 9.45am. Most of the children were taking district exams, so I had the opportunity to make the final checks on the weather station while Mrs Green talked to Richard, the headteacher. Within five minutes everything was working fine so I took Yowasi and Muhudi (the teacher who is coming to the UK) through the workings of the weather station and suggested to them both that they read the manual (it usually helps!).

My next task was to take a photo of P7 (the only class I had neglected to do) before Mrs Green and I met with the teaching staff to give our thanks for the warm welcome on this visit and to encourage more of them to start blogging. After that we sad a sad goodbye and headed off to Mahyoro.

I’d visited Mahyoro once before two years ago and remembered what a beautiful drive it was. My memory was absolutely correct as we passed some amazing crater lakes and fields and hills covered with crops. Another added bonus was that just about the entire road through Katerara and on to Mahyoro had been resurfaced, which helped our progress no end.

We arrived at the school to a great deal of excitement and with many visitors present. Aside from the headteacher, Ronnie (the Twinning Project coordinator) and all of the teaching staff, there was also the local Catholic priest, the local Anglican priest and the head of the school management committee (what we would call the Chair of Governors). We sat down to a proper Ugandan style assembly with lots of speeches, singing and dancing. Mrs Green and I both had to give speeches which went down well with the children. The children of Mahyoro had also written letters to their counterparts at West Meon Primary and these were handed over to me with great ceremony.

After the assembly we were taken to see an exhibition game of tag rugby. Just like Kafuro, there has been a marked improvement in the standard of the children’s skills and the teachers were very pleased when I complimented them on how they had implemented their training. From there we went to lunch where tilapia was served along with rice and matoke. You won’t ever hear Mrs Green or I complaining about having to eat tilapia.

Ronnie took us on a tour of the school after lunch. He showed us the crops that they grow which are then sold to raise money for school equipment. They are particularly successful in growing maize and bananas. For crops that are more difficult to grow such as coffee(due to a lack of rain) they plant  another plant next to it which retains water helping the coffee plant to grow. He also showed Mrs Green the composting toilets they have before we came across a group of girls playing a game. It involves three girls and the idea is for the two girls on the outside to throw and hit the girl in the middle with a ball made from rags. The girl in the middle has to make a tower out of four bricks as many times as she can without being hit. I was allowed to join in and was much more effective on the outside than in the middle. The children were highly amused every time I was hit.

Eventually, it was time to go and we headed back to Mweya for a potential meeting with some rangers. Once again it didn’t happen, but we had a lot to tell Jess about another fantastic day.

Tomorrow is a very important day as we hope to help clean up Katunguru.

This entry was posted in Kafuro Primary School, Liss Junior School, Trips, Twinning Project, Uganda and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.