Uganda 2014 Day 8: Another great day

Uganda 2014 Day 8 – Another busy day

I woke up this morning feeling shattered but sheer excitement at the thought of going back to see my ‘castle’ kept me going. Heather and I had companions for today’s trip: Steve, Rebecca, Carrie and Vicent all joined us.

After the usual breakfast (rolex and small bottle of water) we set off on yet another scorching day. I really enjoyed the drive up to Kafuro as I was pointing out all sorts of things to the first time visitors. First of all we stopped off at Kyambura Primary School, who have recently been twinned with Sheet Primary School. Hope, the headteacher, and Moses, the Twinning Project Coordinator, were both really nice people. My job while we were there was to check put their ICT capacity as Stu had dropped off a laptop during a visit in February. The laptop was working, but best of all they had electricity at the school which meant that there would be no problem with charging it. I showed Moses how to perform a few functions and tomorrow the Twinning Project will buy the school a mobile internet dongle so they can begin to communicate by email with Sheet Primary School.

From there it was on to Kafuro where my ‘castle’ was all but completed. Apparently some of the banana leaves on the roof need trimming, but it looked great. I posed for some photos and then Yowasi gave everyone a tour of the school. We went on to view the lake from along the main road in the village but by then the temperature was absolutely scorching and I could feel my skin begin to prickle so we headed back to school. On our way I found a drummer in the local church who was beating out solid rhythms for an hour and then found the local pub. Most people would describe it as a shed but it had a fridge solar power and a TV where people could come and watch premier league football on a Saturday evening.

We said goodbye to Yowasi and the children and headed homewards. We took the opportunity to stop in at Ugandan Wildlife Authority where Benon, the ranger in charge of community was ecstatic to see us. We agreed to set up a meeting with park management next week.

As it was Friday we decided it was treat night and Mrs Green and I had been very perceptive. We’d ordered and paid for a special Twinning Project cake to be made for tonight. So after a very nice dinner Joshua, the chef delivered a massive marbled chocolate cake. It was delicious!

There was more amusement to be had when the Commonwealth Games came on the TV with Kipsoro running the 10,000m for Uganda. When he won the Tembo went absolutely mental and all the managers were dancing around for joy. It was a fantastic experience. Patrick (Tembo’s Manager) told me that there would be partying in in Kampala throughout the night. A great end to another fantastic day!

Mrs Green writes:

Breakfast at Tembo, usual fruit and toast, fruit juice. Went to Kyambura Primary School. This is a new school to the Twinning Project which will hopefully be twinned with Sheet Primary School. As we drove in I was struck by the size of the grounds of the school and the beautiful views up high in the mountain. We were immediately met by crowds of children as we drove in to the grounds. An older boy, who may have been the Head Boy, was beating them away of the stick. I assured him we were fine and he did not need to beat them away! Soon after I got out of the bus, I was met by 2 very young children. I was left talking to them as everyone else went into the Headteacher’s Office. I was beckoned away from my two young friends to join them in the Headteacher’s Office. One of my young friends had followed me in to the Headteacher’s Office too and sat on my lap. It was quite a squeeze as the Headteacher’s Office was the size of the stock cupboard at school in Liss and in there was the Headteacher’s desk and 5 of us crowded around on chairs. We chatted with the Headteacher about the Twinning Project and how it has been working for our schools so far. She read the letter from the Headteacher in Sheet Primary School. She asked us questions and responded very positively to the idea of the project, looking at pictures of Sheet school and the surrounding area of Sheet. After our meeting, we were able to look around the school and I spent the time instead, watching a playground game with some of the older children.

After our stop at this school, we went on to visit our Kafuro Primary School to see Mr Stanley’s ‘Castle’ (the wattle and daub house). Wow! As we drove in we were blown away with how they had finished off the ‘Castle’. Each wall was built up with daub and the roof was made with dried banana leaves woven over bamboo. Mr Stanley was thrilled with his ‘Castle’ and tried it out for size. After many photos, we took another walk down to the lake that we had used yesterday to get water for the daub. We took in the beautiful sights. As Steve Peach and I were enjoying the views, we noticed a thermal twister sweeping across one of the fields, taking loose leaves and dust up into the air.

We left Kafuro and went on to Katunguru Primary School. On our way there, we called in to meet with the Warden in Charge of Communities. We signed his visitor book and had a brief chat before moving on to Katunguru. Once there we were mobbed by the children! They were very pleased to see us. I chatted to a large group of children, mainly 13 and 14 years old. They and I exchanged many questions and answers about our lives in the UK and Uganda. I asked some of them what they hope to do as a job when they are older. Some said, ‘nurse’, ‘teacher’, and one girl said she would like to be a ‘Ranger’ and this was because she had been inspired by Steve Peach and his teaching presented to the children earlier in the week.

This entry was posted in Trips, Twinning Project, Uganda and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Uganda 2014 Day 8: Another great day

1. Henry Green says:

What kind of music do the people of Uganda listen too ? Anything we listen to?

2. G Haycock says:

Sounds like you are having fun there!

I emailed our intrepid Liss adventurers and tried to send some pics and videos of the bees.

I did get some footage of a newly hatched bee emerging but it was too big a file to email.

Anyhow – have fun and don’t forget sunscreen!

3. aburford says:

Hi, I have let Valiant know about the success with Roamer. They have posted an article on the company website. http://news.roamer-educational-robot.com/?p=506&preview=true
    Any chance of some pictures showing the Kafuro children using Roamer and of yourselves as they wish to credit the article properly?