Uganda 2014 day 4: Larry’s Big Day

After a very good night’s sleep I was up at about 8.30am. I chatted to Mrs Green about events of the previous day before having my usual bottle shower and getting ready for the day ahead. Mrs Green and I decided to visit the safari lodge and use their WIFI to upload our photos onto the blog. We managed about three quarters before the WIFI mysteriously cut out. Our next stop was Tembo for breakfast where we met the others. I had Rolex for breakfast which is basically an omelette wrapped inside a chapatti. It was absolutely delicious!

Because we had no schools to visit today we decided we would go on the crater drive. This was one of the experiences that I had told Mrs Green about and she was just as excited as me. We decided to take Larry the leopard on this trip as to be brutally honest he hadn’t been doing much other than guarding the keys to the two vans. I’ll let him take over as he’s shooting me some very dirty looks…

….About time too! I’ve been completely fed up stuck in a rucksack with just some toilet roll for company while Mr Stanley has a good time. Anyway as soon as I came out of the rucksack Mrs Green took pity on me, stroked me, cuddled me and put me on the front seat of the Moisture Machine (the name for this year’s van). She’s nice; I like her! We drove to the beginning of the crater drive on a beautiful sunny morning with barely a cloud in the sky. As the drive commenced Ronnie the driver ensured that all the windows were closed so that we didn’t let any tsetse flies into the van. I don’t like them, they make my fur itch. As the van got higher and higher along the track the terrain got rougher and rougher. Mr Stanley was bouncing around behind me like a jack in the box. Being a sensible leopard I used my tale and kept superb balance. There were some spectacular views of the savannah in the distance and all the different types of terrain at the bottom of each crater. Some smell really bad, others are barren, one or two are filled with trees, another filled with water. No one really knows why each crater is different, but Ronnie said that it was all part of God’s plan!

Eventually we reached a viewing platform and Mrs Green took me out of the van so I could see my kingdom spread out below. Mrs Green and Mr Stanley kept saying things like, ‘I’ll never forget this view for the rest of my life’ and ‘My family won’t believe it when they hear about this.’ Mostly they stood still and took in the view. It’s the first time that Mr Stanley’s been quiet all week!

When the crater drive was over the humans went off to get a drink and from my position in the van I tracked a lone elephant who walked over a mile to get to water. He walked across the savannah, through woodland and eventually crossed a busy road. All that effort just to get a drink! After that the humans got back into a van and started to drive home. All of a sudden Mrs Buckle got very excited and shouted to stop the van. All the humans looked up to see a very beautiful (not as beautiful as me of course) leopard frolicking in the long grass. Everyone got out their cameras and started snapping away. The leopard started waving his tail around like a bit of a show off.  However, as soon as a number of other vehicles turned up he decided he’d had enough and went away. I don’t blame him, humans are so annoying sometimes.

All the teachers were very excited talking about going into their schools tomorrow. Not as excited as I am. Larry the leopard is an absolute legend at Kafuro Primary School and I fully expect the children will be lining the streets to welcome me back. Yowasi will no doubt be very excited to see me; that’s if we make it there alive. Mr Stanley is driving in Uganda for the first time tomorrow and I fear that he will drive the Moisture Machine down a large pothole.

Anyway, more from me in the coming days. Mr Stanley asked me to apologise for a lack of blogs in the last few days; he said it was something to do with a dodgy internet. Personally I think he’s been sinking too many Nile Specials or Eagle Extras!!!!

This entry was posted in Kafuro Primary School, Trips, Uganda and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Uganda 2014 day 4: Larry’s Big Day

1. George Green says:

What is the Kafuro children’s favourite sport?

2. George Green says:

Is it hot or cold at night and how hot or cold is it during winter?

• astanleyadmin says:

Hi George,
      It is fairly hot at night, mostly because we have to sleep with mosquito nets tucked in all around our bed. This contributes to keeping the heat in. At night, temperatures usually drop to about the same temperature as the day time in UK. The locals here feel it is fairly cold! I was walking around the rainforest yesterday, wearing a vest top and feeling very hot. One of the Ugandan guides was walking with us with his coat on! There isn’t a lot of difference between temperatures during the winter time here as we are so close to the equator. But there is a ‘wet’ season when it rains a lot.
      Thanks for your question George!
      Love Mum x