Uganda 2016 Day Thirteen – Finishing Off

This morning we had a slightly longer lay in – 06.45! After the usual ritual of showering, dressing and loading up the land cruiser, we went down to Tembo where I had a special treat for breakfast: a bacon sandwich! It was very nice.

Our journey to Kafuro took a bit longer than usual this morning as we came across a herd of elephants feeding by the roadside as we left Mweya. As usual, I stopped at a safe distance. Most of the elephants weren’t at all bothered by our presence and moved off quickly all except for the matriarch, who stared at me for what seemed like hours before finally turning away. We quickly moved off again!

When we reached Kafuro, we quickly went down to the cob oven. Muhudi had used a panga (machete) to cut an opening and the children had cleared out the sand. Some of P7 had already cut firewood ready to put into the oven so it could be burnt to harden the clay off. Within a couple of minutes, we had a fire going and the clay soon began to heat up. With this going well, we gave out letters from Liss Junior School and organised class photos. This was a straightforward process and the children were lovely as usual. Henry had an interesting moment when some of the children saw a snake with a rat in its body and reacted instantly. They took sticks and drove the snake away. Poor Henry was scared stiff!

Before we left the school, there was a goodbye assembly where the children sang farewell songs and there were some moving speeches. Henry’s was particularly impressive. For a teenager who hates public speaking, he has come a long way in a fortnight. We left the school with Yowasi and Muhudi, who were both going to show us the developments with their bees. Since last year the children have planted lots of fast growing shrubs that have provided shade for the hives and, as a result, the bee population is growing fast. There was lots of activity from what I could see. Kafuro are now aiming to expand their colonies from two to six, so that they are using all of their hives.

As we left the village, Yowasi showed us the plot of land he has bought in order to build his new school. It cost him just over £800 and the views were unbelievable. I would be lying through my teeth if I didn’t admit to imagining my own house (built to western standards) overlooking the savannah with me on the veranda sipping a cold Nile. We said sad goodbyes and drove out of Kafuro for the last time this year.

Next we headed for Katunguru Primary School via brief stops at the escarpment overlooking Kyambura Gorge and a bar in Katunguru to buy some sodas. We received another warm welcome at the school. While Mrs Green & Henry talked to Levi, the headteacher, I met Robert (a USA Peace Corps volunteer) and then gave Ramathan some blogging training.

Following this, we all went to P7 to run a question and answer session. Henry got the most attention, but the children at Katunguru were very direct in their questions to the adults. They are certainly not shy.

After saying our goodbyes, we headed back to Hippo House and, as I write, we are preparing to pack in preparation for the long journey back to Entebbe tomorrow. As always we have loved our time at Mweya and we are sad to be leaving it again, but we look forward to returning again very soon.

This entry was posted in Kafuro Primary School and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Uganda 2016 Day Thirteen – Finishing Off

1. Mrs Frost says:

You must have had a lot of questions asked of you all by the children – what has been your funniest or most unexpected?

2. aburford says:

An interesting shaped oven – traditional? How did the first firing go? You seem to have had a very busy trip. Time for a holiday?

• astanleyadmin says:

We had to leave before the first firing was finished, but all seemed well. There is a hole in the top which is plugged by a bit of banana plant. As the firing progressed it should have shrunk and fallen through the hole. It has been an extremely busy trip and to use the cockney vernacular, I am cream crackered! However, I feel that things have moved on again and there are many exciting things to look forward to in the next year or so. Kafuro teachers send their best wishes, but are very upset that you have retired!