Queen of Katwe review

This is the first film review on the Kafuro Liss blog, but Queen of Katwe is the first major film in many years which is actually based about ordinary Ugandan people as opposed to politicians such as Idi Amin (The last king of Scotland). The film is based on the true story of Phiona Mutesi, a Ugandan girl, who sees her world rapidly change after being introduced to the game of chess. You don’t have to be a chess fan to watch the film; the main themes are poverty, ambition and aspiration. What I really liked about the film is that it wasn’t condescending or patronising towards Ugandan people. It also brought back many happy memories of a country I love and one that feels like a second home to me.

I’m intending to show this film when I visit Kafuro next year, but would highly recommend it to Liss pupils and parents for an entertaining, thought-provoking and uplifting half-term treat. It’s also got an absolutely brilliant soundtrack!

MV5BNzQ0MDg2NTY4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk2NzU3OTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_

This entry was posted in Kafuro Primary School, Uganda and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.