Uganda 2017 Day 7: The Great Kafuro Bake Off

Both Mrs Green and I agreed that this was the best day in Uganda so far! We got up early at 06.30am so that we were ready to drive up to Kasese to meet representatives of Unity Primary School, grab some supplies and then head to Kafuro to do some baking. Calum, the only other Twinning Project member left behind, was going to join us for the day.

Breakfast was fine although my toast didn’t arrive so I just made do with water. The three of us drove to Kasese in just under an hour to visit Unity Primary School. The school was set up by the chef at Tembo Canteen, Joshua Kawaya and targets children who could not otherwise afford to go to school. The school was founded six years ago and has grown from 40 pupils in 2011 to 238 pupils in 2017. We were given a warm welcome and were asked to introduce ourselves to the children, who are desperate to make friends in the UK. I had to make a speech, so I encouraged the children to keep attending school as their inspirational teachers were giving them life opportunities that they would not otherwise have. Mrs Green very kindly gave them some stationery which I thought might result in her being mobbed. When we left the school, all of the children wanted to touch a muzungu. I explained to the children that as I had been to Uganda so many times, I considered myself an African, but I don’t think I convinced them. Joshua was so pleased that we had visited his school that he gave us a chicken (live!) – Friday night’s dinner!

We stopped off in Kasese for some supplies and briefly visited Joshua’s wife and two week old baby daughter. Mrs Green was allowed to give the baby –  named Prossy – a cuddle and she was very reluctant to give Prossy back. After that we headed for Kafuro.

I drove like a maniac and we reached Katunguru in twenty minutes (it normally takes half an hour). From then on the road was dreadful, but we managed to make it to Kafuro in an hour. When we arrived, we got straight down to the serious business of baking with Class P6. Mrs Green was going to make bread rolls, I was going to make pizzas (although it became tomato bread after the mozzarella we had bought mysteriously disappeared). Calum was chief photographer.

The children absolutely loved the process as they don’t get to do things like this in Uganda. There was lots of smiles and laughter and . at lunchtime we brought the car down to near where the children were baking so that they could listen to the Queen of Katwe soundtrack at full volume. There was lots of singing and dancing as result and not only from the schoolchildren.

The cob oven was brilliant and it helped to make some fantastic bread rolls and ‘tomato bread. Kafuro tomatoes have a reputation for being some of the best in Uganda and the tomato sauce was nothing short of sensational! One girl stood out from the rest of the class – she was called Gloria. She listened very carefully to all of the instructions and produced amazing ‘pizzas’ and bread rolls. I would bet a lot of money that she will become a very accomplished chef in the future.

Before we headed home for the evening, I tried to connect the Kafuro weather station to the weather underground app that we use at Liss. Unfortunately, the internet is too slow, so the children are going to continue sending me photos of the console screen which I will put onto a spreadsheet and send to both schools.

We headed home earler tonight. Mrs Green did some washing while I caught up with emails and Calum sorted out his plans for the next couple of days. Tomorrow is our last day at Kafuro and this is the day when we distribute letters as well as class photos. More news tomorrow night.

Gloria in charge of the cob oven

This entry was posted in Class P6, Cookery, Kafuro Primary School and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.